The facts of English occupation (1945-1947)

When the Germans left Greece in 1944, it did not happen the same with Dodekanisa, because in the sea the allies predominated and the departure of Germans was difficult. Sometime later the German army that was in Rhodes was obliged to surrender and the delivery was made the treaty that was signed on 9th of May in 1945 in Simi. The same day the English forces with the men of the Sacred Greek Band disembarked in Rhodes.  If the natives asked why the islands were not delivered immediately to the Greek forces, the inhabitants welcome the allies with enthusiasm and a sense of freedom.

In Rhodes, the appointment of the authorities followed and the first Greek Mayor of Rhodes Athanassios Kazoullis was appointed. The island’s freedom was stamped with a pallet: “people of Dodekanissos for remembering of 9th May 1945, the day of release from the foreigners and for the indication of gratitude to its releaser: Sacred Battalion and Strength 281 Indian Battalions and SBS with generalissimo the general Patzet , admiral Tennant , brigadier Moffat  Governor of the Sacred Band, Colone Tsigante attachment of reservists – 9th May 1946”

The winners of World War England, America, China and Russia liberated Dodekanissa from slavery but they did not return to Greece, giving a two year confirmation to the people of the islands. The Englishmen kept the main places and appointed authorities from Cyprus and India. Furthermore the Italian residents of Rhodes and the businessmen continued to live without disturbances in the island, having the favor of the new authorities.

A characteristic incident of the English possession was the interruption of the initiative of the new Mayor M. Kazoulis from the Italian authorities to replace the Italian names of the streets with the Greeks. It’s a fact that finally the Greek opinion was enforced. So, the islands got into the possession of the Greek, the spoils of war were lost, the military barracks to be destroyed, historic buildings and the Greek government to find only ruined walls.

The society of Rhodes began steadily to make the first steps for their new life. The English authorities in cooperation with the municipal authority organized an education Committee with six members for school’s education. Also during the English rule the newspaper “ TIME”, the magazine “ART” circulated and it was made re organization of the gymnastic club “ DIAGORAS” with new action.

In the next two years after Germans departure they left behind in Rhodes all who suffered during the war from near villages and islands and stayed in the city. Also with the operation of the schools there were lack of personnel and so it begun the repatriation of the teachers from old Greece. These two facts gave to the island a new Greek feature and it began to take again a Dodekanissos character. All things in Rhodes were made calm and the foreign changes were removed in the character of the island so, it was ready to be connected with the rest of Greece.

On 27th of June 1946 it was decided from the council of four ministers of external affairs Dodekanissos to be given to Greece without soldiers. The decision was approved by the four forces and immediately it was given the permission from the English authorities the Greek Flag to be raised in the Municipality of Rhodes on 16th July of 1946.

The treaty of peace was signed immediately between Italy and Forces with which they granted Dodekanissa to be attached to Greece. So, Dodekanissa were ready, full of national senses to welcome freedom.

Twelve triumphal arches had been placed in the twelve ports

and they have been hammered with labor and gold surface

in order to celebrate their freedom dressed into blue and white

The seaside of every island will be made glorious and free.